Thursday, August 18, 2011

Zucchini Bread

My farm plot is yielding a ton of veggies, not to mention what neighbors give me. Here's just a little snippet of what we got this week (guess I ought to do some canning). Since we're all tired of eating zucchini I figured it'd be nice to make some bread with it and since I've been experimenting with gluten-free baking I decided to make my zucchini bread gluten-free. After all was said & done I still had like 8 zucchinis left so I'm going to have to figure out some other things to make with them - brownies maybe? We'll see. Enjoy the recipe. If you try it, comment & let me know how it turns out!


A friend gave me this little sign as a gift a few weeks ago. I introduced her to the farm plots where I garden. Such a profound statement. I love this sign.


Ingredients:

1 1/2 c all-purpose gluten free flour mix*
1 1/2 ts xanthum/guar gum
1 1/2 ts ground cinnamon
1/2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts baking powder
1/4 ts ground nutmeg
1 egg + 1 egg white, beaten
1 1/2 ts vanilla extract
1 1/4 c brown sugar
2 c finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 c veg oil
1/4 c applesauce
1/2 c toasted walnuts/pecans

* I usually make my own gluten-free mix, although you can also purchase all-purpose gluten-free mixes in stores. This time around I used 3/4 c soy flour, 1/2 c tapioca flour, and 1/4 c brown rice flour.


Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease the bottom & sides of an 8 x 8 x 2" loaf pan. In a medium bowl combine flour, guar gum, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture & set aside.


In another medium bowl combine egg & egg white, vanilla, sugar, shredded zucchini, oil, and applesauce.


Add zucchini mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Batter should be lumpy.


Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan & bake 45-50 min.


Cool in pan on wire rack 10 min, then remove bread from pan. Hang your apron & enjoy!



Liam loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment