Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Saturday, May 21, 2011
I wanted to make a tote that I could use everywhere & held up to all of life's shenanigans. So I'm very excited to introduce the Practical Tote. It's easy, roomy & reversible and has pocket perks! Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.
Friday, May 13, 2011
Peach Apple Blueberry Cobbler with Pecan Streusel Topping
This is of course in response to my previous post on food obsession. I had a taste for cobbler but also wanted something more than just cobbler (that's where the streusel came in). I also threw in a sprinkle of homemade granola just for kicks. Here is the recipe. Enjoy!
1 cup gluten-free mix (recipe below)
2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
1 tsp vanilla flavor
1/3 cup liquid (buttermilk, milk, nondairy liquid, fruit juice, or carbonated drink)
1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
4-6 cups fruit of your choice
1 Tbsp cornstarch (or arrowroot powder, or rice flour)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
GF Mix Recipe
2 1/2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp egg replacer
1 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp dried lemon peel or powdered vanilla
*Store in airtight container.
Pecan Streusel Topping
1/2-1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup GF mix
1/3 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
4 ts orange juice
*Combine & set aside.
To Make Cobbler
1. Place 1 cup gluten-free mix in a mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter, 1 tsp vanilla flavor, and 1/3 cup liquid (buttermilk, milk, nondairy liquid, fruit juice, or carbonated drink).
3. Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture & mix until smooth. Don't overbeat.
4. For filling, in a saucepan combine 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 4-6 cups fruit of your choice, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1 Tbsp cornstarch. Cook & stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
5. Place fruit mixture into an 8x8" pan. Drop dough by spoonfuls on top of fruit. Top with pecan streusel topping & bake in a preheated 350˚ oven for 20-25 min. Serve warm with ice cream.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
All day long I think about food and all its yumminess. Everyone who knows me knows how much I love food & eating. It's where my mind goes when I daydream. A friend put me on to this site, foodgawker.com, where foodies post photos of their magical creations. Above are 1} Marcus Wareing's recipe for a Lavender-Scented Custard Tart by josieleesuska. Dude. Need I say more?, 2} Root Beer Cupcake by bhawley. RoOt beEr!! Say whaaat. I'd just really like to try this. I already love root beer so much, and 3} Wild Rice & Asparagus Salad by phoo-d. This just looks really good & refreshing to me. Plus, you gotta have something healthy in the mix, right?
I love to bake and create things in the kitchen (when I have the time) and this site is great inspiration. Since I've been trying my hand at gluten-free, tonight's excursion will be: gluten-free fruit cobbler (don't know which fruits yet; I'm thinkin peaches, apples & pears.. with possibly a few blueberries) served with a side of vanilla rice dream ice cream to go with.
Posted by Texstyle at 8:10 PM